Looking Smart … It’s Way Easier Than You Think

Affiliate links: The WateringWhole is a for-profit site that receives financial support by a variety of methods. One of those collaborative methods is through affiliate marketing which means that all/some links are to products or services of which The WateringWhole receives compensation. What this means for you: 1. products/services have been used and tested by the company 2. No additional cost assumed during purchases for the purchaser. 3. Your financial support will mean more motivational and uplifting content.

posted by Al Bell on October 29, 2020

Many of us would love to be smarter, not because we want to solve the great mysteries of the universe, but because we want others to take us more seriously.

Think about it. Imagine if everyone you knew thought you were super smart. All of a sudden, your life would change. They’d see you as a kind of sage – somebody whose ideas are worth paying attention to.

Now consider the effects that this change in attitude would have on your life. You’d be the first person people would consider for promotion. Teachers would mark your work more favorably. And you’d have more authority in your podcasts or internet marketing.

The trick here is to know that it is just as important to look smart as it is to be smart. Here are some ideas to make yourself look like a brainiac instantly.

Work On Your Listening Skills

Have you ever noticed that many of the most intelligent people on the planet are great listeners?

There’s a reason for that: they want to size you up and figure out where you’re coming from. Smart individuals know that it is essential to gather as much information as possible to craft a sensible response.

They also don’t want to show their hand. They’d rather get all the information upfront before saying something wise or insightful. They don’t rush it.

Listening works for a second reason: it’s emotionally appealing to the other person. When you say something insightful that genuinely reflects their inner thoughts, you show them that you get where they’re coming from. That sort of thing is so rare that it automatically makes you appear smarter.

Wear Glasses

Wearing glasses is something everyone is talking about at the moment. It instantly makes you look more intelligent, according to research. And it’s something you can do to boost your perceived brain power, whether you have eyesight trouble or not.

According to science, people see those who wear spectacles as smarter because of the associations they have. For years, pop culture has portrayed the brainiest people as wearing glasses, and the image has stuck. It’s not true, of course, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use it to your advantage.

Maintain Eye Contact

Maintaining eye contact is super important for making you look smarter.

Have you ever been around somebody who spends the entire conversation staring into your eyes like they’re peering into your very soul?

If so, you’ve probably come across a person who understands how to play the game on an unconscious level. Maintaining good eye contact is all about confidence and self-assurance. It tells other people that you’re happy with who you are, and you’re open and engaged with your ideas. You’re not trying to hide.

Just be careful with eye contact, though. You don’t want to adopt the “death stare.” Just something relaxed and engaged will do. As a rule of thumb, look into people’s eyes 90 percent of the time. Use the remaining 10 percent to look elsewhere, especially when thinking about what to say next.

Credits: Pixabay, Pexels

Author: Al Bell

I am a fun and inquisitive individual that has a passion of sharing positive thoughts to encourage others. If it has anything to do with food , fashion, travel, encouragement, or fitness count me in! My motto is "Never complacent, always changing"!!!!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.